Every month, Dalenys, Groupe BPCE’s fintech specialising in digital payments, puts a sector under the microscope to explore consumer and e-commerce trends, using data from the BPCE Payments Observatory1.
This month, it takes a close look at French consumption habits relating to household appliances.
A constantly growing sector
- Spending in the sector increased by 40% between 2018 and 2021, with a surge of 13% between 2020 and 2021 (in amount terms).
- Average overall shopping basket: €139.35, i.e. +17.5% vs 2019
NB: men spend the most:
- Average male shopping basket: €156
- Average female shopping basket: €120.80
E-commerce is growing rapidly, driving the sector
- E-commerce spending increased by 183% between 2018 and 2021, with a surge of 20% between 2020 and 2021 (in amount terms).
- In e-commerce, the average shopping basket is larger than for goods purchased in-store: €161.70 online vs. €118.50 in-store
- Average male online shopping basket: €188.30
- Average female online shopping basket: €131.80
Pople under the age of 24 spent the most online, with an average purchase of €187.40.
- Compared to 2020, the number of online transactions rose sharply, by 49.9%, while the average online shopping basket decreased by 17.2%.
1 data from e-banking transactions by Banque Populaire and Caisse d’Epargne cardholders, between January 2018 and October 2021